Friday, October 11, 2013

Tips for Successful Parent-Teacher Conferences

Research has shown that parental involvement is the most important factor in a student's success in school. For many parents, however, that involvement is limited to attendance at parent-teacher conferences.  We must make the most of the opportunity. 

Before the conference:

*Communicate with parents frequently throughout the year.  Take time to mention positive things, even if they are small.  Address any concerns expediently so that any concerns brought up at conferences aren't a surprise.
*Consider sending home a questionnaire with your conference sign-up form asking parents to share questions and concerns about their child or school policies.
*You may also want to include a list of major topics that have been covered and what the students are expected to know and be able to do.
*Collect work samples for each student as concrete evidence to share with the parents about their child's progress in meeting academic expectations.
*Make notes about each child's strengths and areas of growth so that you are prepared and are able to remain focused during the conference.
*Have students set one or two goals for themselves for the following quarter and share those during the conference.

A quick search will yield lots of ideas for parent-teacher conferences.  This form was created by Zanah McCauley and posted on Teacher's Pay Teacher's for FREE!  Click on the picture to grab your own copy.

During the Conference:

*Sit with the parents at a table or desk in the same sized chairs.  Keeping everyone at the same level is more welcoming and comfortable.
*Know the parents' names.
*Include the student in part of the conference, if possible.
*Start with something positive about the child and then work into areas that can be improved upon.  Return to something positive at the end of the conference.
*Answer questions and address concerns that were returned on the questionnaire.
*LISTEN to the parent, but keep the conference focused on the student.
*Work with parents on a plan for helping their child at school and at home.  Have specific suggestions ready in case a parent asks how they can help at home.
*Share the goals students have set for themselves.
*Thank them for taking time to come and meet with you.
*Act professionally.  If the conference becomes unproductive, ask to schedule a continuation of the conference at another time.

Another FREE resource on TPT was posted by Lessons for Liam, which you can check out HERE.




After the conference:

*Follow up with parents about any questions left unanswered, to check on progress goal progress, and to thank them again for their participation.


What Do Parents Really Want to Know About Their Child?


  • Welcome me into your classroom.  This is my child’s home away from home.  I want to feel our partnership  when I walk through your classroom door. 
  • I am trusting you with one of my most precious belongings.  Please find the good in my child and cherish him/her.
  • I am afraid you are just going to tell me the worst about my child — please surprise me.  Find something great about my child to share with me too.
  • I am trying hard to be the best parent I can be.  Please give me encouragement and ways I can help my child, not a list of things my child needs and does.
  • I want to know that you know my child.  Please don't talk in cliches or make generic comments like, "He's great," or "He's a boy".
  • I want communication.  When there is a problem, please contact me before it becomes a major issue.
  • I want you to be as thorough as possible in your explanations.  Please don't overwhelm me with educational jargon.

No comments:

Post a Comment